Congratulations to Laura Tirevold to serving the Sheridan Fire District for 31 years as of March, 2017. Laura is a FF2/EMT I. Laura was presented a gift card from the Board of trustees to a resort in Wisconsin.
Jon Hurtig , 16 years of service and Matt Platt, 17 years of service have both resigned from the department due to moving to different towns. The District would like to thank them for their time and service they have both given to department. Good luck in your new ventures.
Another milestone, Robert Varnes, Board of Trustee President, will complete 20 years of Service on the Sheridan Fire District Board of Trustees. Robert has been instrumental in making sure the staff are taken care of with gear, equipment etc, to make them safer, the department has good vehicles to respond to the calls and he was very big into the starting of the new station design in which we moved into 5 years ago.
Congratulations 7 a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for your time and service to the Sheridan Fire District.
Chief Kurt Tirevold
The Sheridan Fire Protection District is located in Sheridan, Illinois. We provide fire and EMS service for the town of Sheridan, the Sheridan Correctional Center, and rural areas around the town bounded roughly by 4375th road on the north, 2650th road on the east, US52 on the south, and the Fox River to the west. We also provide EMS service to the Serena Fire Protection District.
The department usually has about 30-35 members which include firefighters, Emt's, and cadets. Several members are cross trained as both. EMS calls typically out number fire calls by a 7 to 1 margin. The department operates two ILS ambulances and will transport to all local hospitals. Currently the department has 7 personnel trained as an EMT Basic, 3 personnel trained as an EMT Intermedic, and 3 personnel trained as an EMT Paramedic.
For the year 2016, the number of calls the department received was 409. Of which: 36 were for fire calls and 373 were for medical calls.
|Month||2016 Fire||2016 Ambulance||2015 Fire||2015 Ambulance|
Sheridan Fire Protection District Trustee Meetings
List are the meeting dates for calender year 2017, approved by the Sheridan Community Fire Protection District Trustees. Meetings are held on the first Thursday of every month unless otherwise posted starting at 7:00pm at the fire station.
|January 5th||February 2nd||March 2nd|
|April 6th||May 4th||June 1st|
|July 6th||August 3rd||September 7th|
|October 5th||November 2nd||December 7th|
Sheridan Fire Protection Board of Trustees
|Secretary:||Debbie Augsburg (Freedom of Information Act contact)|
Robert Varnes was presented gift certificates for different places from the Board of Trustees for 20 years of service to the Sheridan Fire District.
- Paul Brennan, Robert Varnes, Debra Armstrong with Chief Tirevold and Asst Chief Cook behind them in first picture. Second picture is the Trustees. Third picture is Chief Tirevolt thanking Bob for his 20 years on the board.
This is a Tank Lift, for H & M size oxygen tanks. It is a 24 volt system that will ease the heavy lifting of these tanks by staff when moving them and/or replacing them in the ambulance. This was purchased with a Illinois Public Risk Fund Grant of $1741.00.
This 2006 Medtec was sent in to get refurbished for a price of $22,442.00. This included all new LED lighting inside, new Light bar, new floor inside, new high visibility reflective material on rear & sides of the ambulance, removing all exterior doors on the box to do body work, new paint, new hinges. This cost is much less than the purchase of a new ambulance. We should be able to get another 5-10 years from this rig
Foster Coach & Rock River Body did all the refurbishing
This is a used oxygen cascade fill station for small oxygen bottles. This was purchased for $800 from the Homer Fire Protection District. This allows oxygen tanks to be filled in a safe secure manner instead of in the wide open.
Grants received in 2010:
- $14,272.00 from the Dept of Natural Resources used for Firefighter 2 (FF2) Class material and new mobile radios.
Grants received in 2011:
- $7140.00 from Fairmont Abrasives used for portable radios and extrication equipment.
- $8720.00 from the Dept of Natural Resources used for a Gear Washer Extractor, Gear/Hose Dryer, and 5 Mobile Gear Racks.
Grants received in 2012:
- $500.00 from IDPH used towards the purchase of a laptop and mapping program for the ambulances.
- $700.00 from Illinois Public Risk Fund for a safety grant used for a water rescue device.
- $700.00 from Illinois Public Risk Fund from a Helping Hands grant used towards two new ambulance cots.
Grants received in 2014:
- The Fire District was awarded a $1246.00 grant from Illinois Public Risk Fund for the purchase of small entry tools. The following tools were purchased:
- 4 Gas meter
- Battering Ram
- K Tool Lock Entry Set
- Duck Bill Lock Breaker
- A Tool Officers Kit
Grants received in 2015:
- Wireless head set with portable radio capability purchased through the IPRF Safety Grant
Donations for 2015:
- Snowblower purchased by the Firefighters Association.
- Trauma bags purchased with donation money
- Pediatric bags purchased with donation money
- Thermometers purchased with donation money
- Pulseoximeters purchased with donation money
- Scene lights purchased with donation money
- 12 lead training simulator purchased with donation money
- Roger Forth memorial donation of $895.00.
- Pat Twait memorial donation or $10.00.
- Jo Ann Meyer donation of $250.00 to the Fire Department.
- YS Royal Honey Farms donation of $500.00 to the Fire Department.
- Sheridan Sanitary District donation of $1000.00 to the Fire Department.
- Sharon Fancher Memorial Donation of $740.00 to the Ambulance Fund.
- YS Royal Honey Farm donation of $300.00 for 2 trees.
- John Andreshak donation of $150.00 for 1 tree.
- Margaret Duffy memorial donation of $575.00 to the ambulance fund.
Donations for 2014:
- Mary Anderson memorial donation of $25.
- Pat Hooser memorial donation of $465.
- Wayne Westvig memorial donation of $1000.
- Deanna Forth memorial donation of $1145.
- Mildred Walters memorial donation of $573.
- $100 from Betty Morey for Fire Prevention fund.
- $1000 from Dan Duefel for the Fire fund.
Donations for 2013:
- $7000.00 from the Sheridan Firefighters Association towards the purchase of two new ambulance cots.
- New Stryker Cot
- $1000.00 from the Sheridan Firefighters Association towards a new fit testing machine.
- $50.00 from Eileen Bellabe for the station fund.
- $40.00 from Jerry Johnson for the ambulance fund.
- $10,000.00 from Wedron Silica to Sheridan Ambulance for new equipment.
- $100 from Dale & Delores for the Ambulance fund.
- $100 from Debra Hurt for the Ambulance fund.
- Dorothy Hapke memorial donation of $410.
- $100 from John Kawalski to the Fire fund.
Donations for 2011:
- $492.00 to the Ambulance Fund and $3270.00 to the Station Fund.
Donations for 2010:
- $2670.00 to the Ambulance Fund and $300 to the Fire Fund.
The department recently purchased flashlights for use by firefighters. The firefighters now have a helmet mounted flashlight and a handheld flashlight.
The department recently purchased new rescue equipment. We purchased two hydraulic rams, mini cutter, ram kit, and two hoses. Now both ambulances have a full compliment of rescue tools. Pictures of the rescue equipment below:
EMS week 2017 dates to be posted at a later time.
Fire Prevention Week for 2017 will be posted at a later time.
If you wish to be considered for membership of the department, call or stop by the station to talk to an officer. The officers are listed below.
|Chief:||Kurt Tirevold (Freedom of Information Act contact)|
|Assistant Chief:||Kyle Cook|
|Fire Lieutenant:||Oliver Blum|
|Fire Lieutenant:||Pat Lynch|
|EMS Coordinator:||Marla Hardyman|
|Vice President:||Matt Platt|